In a Sunday, Jan. 12, 2014 photo, St. Louis firefighter Stan Baynes, from Rescue Squad 1C, keeps a Poberman Pinscher named Diablo above water while he is rescued from the lake in O'Fallon Park in St. Louis. Diablo's owner, Jason Newsome, from St. Louis, said that Diablo ran onto the ice after a goose and then fell through the ice. The dog was in the ice for about 25 minutes, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. (AP Photo/St. Louis Post-Dispatch, J.B. Forbes) EDWARDSVILLE INTELLIGENCER OUT; THE ALTON TELEGRAPH OUT

Yes, we know you’d jump through the ice to save your dog? But would you do it for any dog? That takes guts, as well as a profound love of dogs.

An amazingly brave Boston firefighter last week risked his life to save a dog that plunged through a frozen pond.

This goes way beyond pulling a cat from a tree, my friends. Think of everything that could have gone wrong.


The owner had been walking with the pet when it got away from him, scrambled onto the ice, and broke through, reports the Boston Globe.

A woman named Emily Andrea Robertson – who was just a passerby to the drama – filmed everything with her smartphone.

The dog was named Maggie.

“I almost didn’t walk the way I did on the pond but I’m glad I did!” Robertson wrote on Facebook. “I saw Maggie had broken through the ice and her owner, William, was shouting for her. Ran over and took off my boots and prepared to go in if she went under (I know it’s not too deep over there because I’ve been wading there) but the ice broke pretty quickly underfoot so I decided to call 911.”

A spokesman for the Boston Fire Department told the Boston Globe that the initial call indicated that a person had fallen into the water. It only became clear what was happening when firefighters arrived to find that it was actually a dog that was in danger.


Despite this, a firefighter decked out in a survival suit used a hook to break the ice surrounding Maggie and carried her to safety, Patch first reported.

Robertson also posted some post-rescue images of Maggie. MacDonald told the Globe that the dog seemed “fine” after the ordeal.